What is the entry criteria for the EWA?

To be eligible for the Experienced Worker Assessment you must hold at least a relevant Level 2 qualification as shown in the Skills Scan.

This applies to both the Domestic Electrician EWA and the Installation/Maintenance EWA route (the latter requirement was introduced in September 2023 when the V2 of the Installation/Maintenance apprenticeship standard was introduced).

If you do not hold one of the qualifications listed in the Skills Scan, you will not be eligible to register for the EWA. Training providers must seek advice/approval from TESP if the candidate wishes to enrol with a qualification that is not listed.

Please refer to our FAQ sections on Eligibility for more information.

Non-UK Qualifications: Any candidates with non-UK qualifications must undertaken an Ecctis mapping. Non-UK qualifications cannot be accepted without this. Please refer to our FAQ section on Overseas Qualifications for more information.

I have an Inspection & Testing qualification or BS7671 – do these count towards the Level 2 entry requirement?

Short specialist qualifications in isolation do not meet the Level 2 entry criteria – a full technical certificate is required. The list of accepted qualifications is available within the Skills Scan document.

Once enrolled on the EWA, those candidates with Inspection & Testing or BS7671 can use these towards the additional requirements of the qualification, but they cannot be accepted towards the Level 2 technical certificate entry requirement.

Training providers must seek advice/approval from TESP if the candidate wishes to enrol with a qualification that is not listed in the Skills Scan.

What is the Skills Scan?

The Skills Scan is a first step self-assessment designed to help you determine your eligibility for the Experienced Worker Assessment by reviewing the depth of knowledge, skill and experience that is required to complete the assessment. It’s designed to help you avoid wasting money and struggling to complete qualification or the assessment process if this is not quite the right pathway for you.

The Skills Scan asks for details of any relevant technical qualifications you hold. These can be used to show that you have the required electrical knowledge to take the EWA, through Recognition of Prior Learning. You must hold a minimum Level 2 electrical technical certificate from the list in the Skills Scan. The training provider will need to verify your certificate(s) and will also carry out a documented or recorded technical discussion to confirm that your knowledge is up to date. Where there are gaps, the training provider may recommend you undertake further formal training before taking EWA.

The Skills Scan also asks about your practical experience. This is because you will need to provide performance evidence in the EWA. If you are not working across the full scope of activity required, you may find it difficult to provide the range of evidence that will be required.  The EWA must be completed within an 18 month period.

The EWA is designed for practising electricians and requires evidence of at least 5 years (for Installation / Maintenance Electrician) or 3 years (for Domestic Electrician) experience – this cannot include any time spent in education or training. Evidence of work you have completed can help to demonstrate your eligibility for the EWA but cannot be credited against the performance units.

If you feel that the Skills Scan shows that EWA is the right route for you once you have completed the document, you should contact an EWA training provider. The provider will verify in detail the information you have provided.

The discussion will be documented or recorded and forms part of the auditable evidence that will be checked  as part of the quality assurance processes.

How long will it take to complete the Experienced Worker Assessment?

This will depend on how readily you can generate the performance evidence that is required and whether you need to undertake any training to gain the required elements such as BS 7671:2018. The EWA must be completed within 18 months. We estimate most learners will take anywhere between 6 and 18 months. Most of the time spent will involve portfolio building and on-site assessment of your current work. You should ensure that the work you are undertaking will provide you with the breadth required before you enrol on the EWA.

If you don’t hold BS 7671 and either the Initial Verification unit (for the Installation Electrician EWA) or the full Inspection & Testing qualification (for the Domestic Electrician EWA), these are taught and assessed as if they were taken separately outside of the Experienced Worker Assessment.

The AM2E Assessment (Installation Electrician route) or AM2ED Assessment (Domestic Electrician route), which is separate to the Experienced Worker Qualification,  is the industry assessment of competence which mirrors the end assessment in the industry apprenticeship. It is a practical assessment taken under controlled conditions  in a NET-licensed centre. This can only be booked after the Experienced Worker qualification is achieved.

Will I need time off the job to complete this?

At least one performance assessment must take place while you are carrying out work onsite with the assessor physically present. You will also need time to complete portfolio work, but this can be done inside or outside of work hours. As each candidate’s experience will differ, we are unable to provide an estimate of time required off the job.

You will have usually attend an approved centre to undertake the following, if you don’t already hold these:

  • Installation Electrician EWA: BS 7671:2018 and Initial Verification
  • Domestic Electrician EWA: BS 7671:2018 and full Inspection & Testing qualification

You will also need to complete the AM2E (for Installation Electrician) or AM2ED (for Domestic Electrician) Assessment, which is separate to the Experienced Worker Qualification. This is a practical assessment where you will have to attend a NET-licensed centre.

How much will it cost?

Each training provider will set their own price for delivery of the Experienced Worker Assessment process and you should check their website for details, TESP does not have any influence in this area.

Some training providers will include the cost for the AM2E or AM2ED in their overall price, others may not. The training provider should provide you with clear, written information.

Where can I register for the Experienced Worker Assessment?

The Installation & Maintenance Electrician EWA is available from City and Guilds and EAL recognised centres who offer this qualification.

The Domestic Electrician EWA is available from EAL centres currently and will be available from City & Guilds training centres later this year.

You can find training provider links in our Find an EWA Provider section and can search by regional or national providers.

I’m not currently working as an electrician but would like my skills recognised. Can I take the EWA?

If you aren’t currently working as an electrician, you will not be able to complete the EWA’s practical assessments. The EWA is targeted at practising electricians, and the performance assessments have to be based on current, authenticated activity. You may have evidence from past work that will confirm that you’re a suitable candidate for EWA, but you’d still need to be working now in order to generate up to date evidence across the range of activity required.

Unfortunately, there are no exemptions from the performance units within EWA.

What if the EWA is not right for me?

If you are working in the industry but the Experienced Worker Assessment isn’t right for you at this time due to gaps in your knowledge or experience, don’t give up! It may be you just need a more time or experience in certain areas before you’re ready to apply.

It’s always recommended you complete a relevant industry-approved Level 3 route, recognised by employers.

The Installation & Maintenance Electrician Apprenticeship or Domestic Electrician Apprenticeship may be an option. There’s no age restriction or financial contribution from you, you don’t have to start at the beginning and prior knowledge and qualifications can be recognised to reduce the duration of the apprenticeship.

Otherwise the NVQ Diploma in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment (Buildings, Structures and the Environment) can be taken whether you’re employed or self-employed. If you do not already hold a Level 3 qualification and can cover the scope of work required, you may be eligible for government funding: Free Courses for Jobs – Skills for Life

How else can my employer upskill me if the EWA is not suitable?

An apprenticeship can be taken by a learner of any age to develop the knowledge, skills and behaviour required by an electrician. The duration of an apprenticeship can be reduced if the learner has relevant prior experience and knowledge. To be eligible for an apprenticeship, the learner must require at least 12 month’s training with 20% off-the-job learning within the learner’s usual working hours.

Recognition of Prior Learning will reduce the level of funding required for the apprenticeship.

Small employers (who do not pay apprenticeship levy contributions) share the costs of apprenticeship training with government and pay only 5% of the total funding required, spread over the duration of the apprenticeship. For example, a two-year apprenticeship would cost the employer a maximum of £450 over the two-year period, including the cost of end-point assessment and any technical training or assessment required with the provider.

Large employers fund apprenticeships through their existing levy contributions.

Otherwise, the Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment (Buildings, Structures and the Environment) can be used to assess performance in the workplace. This will require full funding by the either the learner or employer unless the learner qualifies for funding under the Skills for Life programme: Free Courses for Jobs – Skills for Life